The margherita is considered a classic for a reason- the flavours just marry together so well!
This incredibly delicious spicy tomato sauce and vibrant basil oil maintain all the familiar flavours we all know and love- but the slight heat and distribution of toppings give it a pleasing twist that you should definitely try next time you’re firing up Roccbox…
1. For the basil oil;
– Blanch the basil in a pan of well salted boiling water for no more than 10 seconds before immediately plunging it straight into a tub of ice water. Drain and dry the basil well with kitchen towel.
– Place the basil and garlic into a good processor and begin to blend, gradually adding the oil as you do so. Check the seasoning and transfer to a squirty bottle or container. The basil oil will keep in the fridge for 2 days.
2. For the tomato sauce;
– Over a medium-low heat, melt the oil and butter in a saucepan with some salt before adding the sliced garlic, oregano and chilli flakes. Stir regularly for a couple of minutes making sure the garlic doesn’t colour at all.
– Add the red onion, basil sprigs and split chillies to the pan and continue to stir and cook for a further 2-3 minutes before adding the tomatoes.
– Bring to a simmer, check the seasoning and leave to blip away for around 2 hours, stirring now and again to make sure it isn’t catching on the bottom of the pan.
– Remove the chillies, onion and basil sprigs and discard. The sauce can be chilled and kept in the fridge for 3 days (it’s great wit some pasta if you need a quick mid week dinner option!).
3. To bake the pizza;
– Ensure Roccbox is fully saturated with heat before opening a New York style dough ball into a pizza skin and topping with the mozzarella, four blobs of the tomato sauce and a drizzle of basil oil.
– Turn the flame down to its lowest setting before launching the pizza into Roccbox and baking for around 4 minutes, rotating regularly as required.
– When the pizza is baked, transfer to a serving board or plate, drizzle over a little more basil oil and sprinkle over a pinch of chilli flakes before slicing and enjoying!
For the Spicy Tomato Sauce;
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
2 Cloves Garlic, finely sliced
1 Tsp Oregano
1 ½ Tsp Chilli Flakes
2 Red Chillies, split in half
1 Red Onion, quartered
2-3 Sprigs Basil
2 x 400g Good quality canned tomatoes, lightly pulsed
For the Basil Oil;
2 Cups Packed Basil Leaves
1 Cup Olive oil
1 Garlic Clove, grated
For each pizza;
1 x NY Style Dough Ball
45g Low Moisture Mozzarella, diced or grated